SF Virtual Design Conversations: Product Design – Commercial Products
About The Event:
Product Design – Commercial Products
From medical products to industrial products to materials, construction, and beyond – the commercial product industry is one of the most diverse areas of design & innovation. But while a rigorous product design process is just as urgently needed in the commercial as in the consumer industries, its practical execution can look much different.
How do you tackle the process of ensuring your commercial portfolio is not just a collection of commodity products, but rather a uniquely differentiated offering that sets your company apart as an innovation leader for your customers? How can you rise above the regulatory demands, the endless cycle of order taking, and trying to please everyone, to make products that are hard-hitting statements of purpose and exceptional design?
Join us to learn from 4 leaders across 4 different commercial product categories about how they are navigating this innovation journey to deliver successful and sought-after commercial products.
Who Should Attend?
- Any leadership responsible for commercial product development, or who own the strategic design & innovation roadmap for their company. (Eg. Chief Design Officers, Chief Innovation Officers, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Marketing Officers, Product Development Directors, Commercial Marketing Managers etc).
- Managers of creative teams who want to cultivate the kind of innovation culture that will lead to exciting and sustainable commercial solutions.
- Advanced Design Managers, Connected / IoT Product Owners, DFM Leads
- Industrial Designers, Engineers, UX/UI experts, or creatives who want to understand innovation & design better.
Why is this beneficial to you?
- Get examples of how leaders in the industry have overcome barriers to innovation and carved out a market space to occupy with their product portfolio.
- Ask questions of our speakers through live Q&A about their experiences and insights.
- Learn about new products and technologies coming from the commercial lighting, tools, air curtains, and adhesives industries.
We’ll try to tackle it during out time together.
Principal + Director of Strategic Growth
Jeevak brings energy, passion & curiosity to his role at Sundberg-Ferar. With his unique blend of education and experience in industrial design, engineering and business, he is a rallying voice for the alignment and optimal inclusion of the end user’s un-met needs, and unspoken wants in the core value proposition of a company’s products & service portfolio to generate sought-after shareholder value. Jeevak has more than 23 years of professional design experience, first in India for 7 years at Tata Motors, and then in the U.S. for 16 years at GM Design and now Sundberg-Ferar. Beyond his role at SF, Jeevak is a board member of many prominent design associations and think tanks including the Michigan Design Council, Aether Design Group, and Detroit Creative Corridor. He also served on IDSA’s International board for 6 years and chaired IDSA’s 2017 flagship International Design Conference: “Design IS Business”. In his copious amounts of spare time, Jeevak can be found indulging his love of kickboxing, and obstacle course running, or photographing birds in obscure parts of the world.
President & General Manager
1:00 – 2:00pm EDT
John, CEO of Ox Tools USA, is a driven entrepreneur with 20 years of corporate experience now being applied to small innovative businesses that want to scale and disrupt industries.
2:00 – 3:00pm EDT
Head of Marketing
Miranda Berner is in charge of marketing and is part of the new product development team for Berner International, the company that makes doors out of air, a.k.a. air curtains. Before taking over leadership of the marketing department, Miranda served as the project manager for initiatives that involved more than two departments. Miranda has her LEED AP in Building Design + Construction and is a past board member of the Green Building Alliance (USGBC afﬁliate, Pittsburgh)
Product Manager, Executive Management
During Philip’s 25-year career as a product development and management specialist, he has become broadly skilled at profitably launching commercial and industrial products in start-ups thru large multinationals. He loves the creative process of designing and positioning products to satisfy customer needs in unique ways. Phil holds several patents in fluid control, HVAC, and IoT applications. He served on the Product Development and Management Association (PDMA) board as vice president for 4 years.
3:00 – 4:00pm EDT
VP, Insights & Innovation